The Plant Product Safety Services Division (PPSSD) is tasked with the characterization of agricultural crops and its by-products as well as monitoring of pesticide formulated products, pesticide residues and other contaminants in foods. Formerly the Laboratory Services Division, it assumed its pesent name pursuant to Executive Order No. 366.
The Food Safety Act of 2013 further mandates the BPI-PPSSD to undertake responsibilities relevant to food safety measures in the food supply chain of plant foods, specifically on postharvest stages involving minimal transformation of plant foods. These postharvest handling activities ensure that policies and programs assuring the safety of primary and postharvest foods, locally produced or imported. Monitoring of the presence of contaminants in plant foods is conducted through chemical and microbiological analyses.
Safe food supply for a healthy nation and globally competitive agricultural produce through established and efficient monitoring system of the plant food supply chain.
The Plant Product Safety Services Division is mandated to provide and develop monitoring protocols and efficient analytical methods to ensure safety of plant food from production to postharvest stages of the food supply chain through inspection and monitoring of farms, packinghouses and to provide quality analysis for pesticide residues, chemical and microbiological contaminants.
- Strengthens the implementation of food control system on plant foods
- Intensifies the monitoring system of contaminants and pesticide residue to assure the supply of safe food for the consumers
- Provides laboratory services for microbiological examination, physico-chemical analysis, pesticide formulation and pesticide residue analysis
- Coordinates with other local and international authorities on activities relevant to the functions of the Division
- Assists industry in converting agricultural raw materials to globally competitive products in order to increase the dollar value of our export
CONSTITUENT SECTIONS AND LABORATORIES
Accreditation and Inspection Section
- Spearhead the accreditation of packinghouses and establishments involved in the distribution of fresh and minimally processed fruits and vegetables
- Inspection of packinghouses of fresh agricultural produce intended for export and domestic markets for compliance to food safety protocols
Contaminants Laboratory Section
- Monitor chemical and microbiological contaminants and biotoxins.
- Provide physico-chemical and microbiological analytical services for fresh and minimally processed agricultural produce.
Pesticide Analytical Laboratory Section
- Monitor pesticide residue level in locally produced and imported agricultural commodities.
- Provides analytical services on the analysis of pesticide formulated products.
- Provide pesticide analytical services to stakeholders.
Satellite Pesticide Analytical Laboratories (SPAL)
Four (4) satellite pesticide analytical laboratories are tasked to monitor pesticide residue level of local agricultural produce which are strategically located in the following:
- SPAL Baguio (covers Regions I, II and Cordillera Autonomous Region (CAR)
- SPAL Cebu (covers Regions VI, VII and VIII)
- SPAL Cagayan de Oro (covers Regions IX, X, XI)
- SPAL Davao (covers Regions XII, XIII and ARMM)
SERVICES OFFERED CERTIFICATE OF ACCREDITATION
- Pesticide Residue
- Pesticide Formulation
- Physico-chemical Analysis (e.g. ash, moisture, specigic gravity, total nitrogen, percentage of total crude protein, total acidity, salt (% Sodium Chloride), tannin, formalin)
- Microbiological Analysis (e.g. Standard Plate Count, Yeast and Mold Count, Coliform Count)
CERTIFICATION OF ACCREDITATION