The Bureau of Plant Industry (BPI) held the National Annual Research & Development Review on August 6-9, 2018 at El Cielito Hotel, Baguio City. The review was organized by Crop Research and Production Support Division headed by OIC Chief, Mary Ann B. Guerrero. Fifteen (15) studies in the areas of Crop Improvement and Plant Genetic Resources, Pest Management and Developmental Research were presented and reviewed. The studies generally aim to increase farmers’ productivity and to develop technologies to address issues brought about by climate change among others.
Experts from various fields Santiago R. Obien, PhD., Vivencio R. Mamaril, PhD., Ms. Hidelisa de Chavez, and Belinda A. Tad-awan, PhD. evaluated the papers and shared helpful insights for the researchers to improve not only the presented papers but in the conduct of future studies as well.
Here are the papers presented during the review:
(1) Plant Genetic Resources on Pigeon Pea (Cajanus cajan (L.) Millspaugh) by Manuel D. Ching, Ace C. Pascual, Peter M. Magdarao, PhD., Teresita Guevarra and Virgina S. Pelagio;
(2) Development of New Line Selection of Gray Oyster (Pleorotus sajor – caju) by Mary Ann B. Guerrero, Julie Ann A. Aragones, Nerissa M. Balane, Hazel Joy M. Pacis, Mark Jay A. Nono, and Vivencio R. Mamaril,PhD., and Herminigilda A. Gabertan,PhD.;
(3) Macadamia Conservation, Propagation and Commercialization in Luzon by Jesus R. Aspuria,PhD., Juliet M. Ochasan, PhD., Nancy Aspuria, Matilde Q. Gumtang, Maria Arlene F. Celo, and Rogelio Custodio;
(4) Development of BPI-Golden Pico as a New Mango Variety by Sofia A. Covacha, Yonder J. Yondre, Engr. Rhod S. Orquia and Engr. Erlyn N. Billones;
(5) Collection and Conservation of Insect Pollinators by Mercedes M. Arcelo and Ever Van V. Orboc;
(6) Genebanking of Edible Mushroom in the Philippines by Mary Anne B. Guerrero, Julie Ann A. Aragones, Hazel Joy M. Pacis, and Mark Jay A. Nono;
(7) Potential of Trichoderma harzianum as preventive measures against Phytophtora disease of Cacao by Lorna E. Herradura, PhD., Cyril B. Montiel and Mark Gil Ariola;
(8) Evaluation of Different Biofungicides and Organic based Plant Extract against Sigatoka Disease of Banana caused by Mycosphaerella fijensis by Lorna E. Herradura, PhD., Cyril B. Montiel and Mark Gil Ariola;
(9) Evaluation of Metharhizium anisopliae (Metsch) Sorokin and Beauveria bassiana (Balsamo) against Banana Stem Weevil by Lorna E. Herradura, PhD., Ever V. Van Orboc and Mercedes M. Arcelo;
(10) Survey and Documentation of Biological Control Agents, Microbials and Botanicals in Mindanao Island by Lorna E. Herradura, PhD. and Mercedes M. Arcelo;
(11) Evaluation and Utilization of Trichogramma on Durian Fruit Borer as Biological Control Agent by Lorna E. Herradura, PhD., Judith T. Simpao and Rizza Mae I. Ilagan;
(12) Documentation and Evaluation of Microbials and botanicals for Organic Agriculture in Support to Organic Stakeholders in CALABARZON, MIMAROPA and Bicol Region by Herminigilda A. Gabertan, PhD., Ma.Queenie S. Tabur, Niña R. Rosales, Michelle E. Javier, Brian Joseph S. Zulueta, Maria Narcisa V. Garcia, Hazel T. Calibo;
(13) Effects of Cropping Sequence on Bacterial Wilt infected Potato Farm by Trenesie M. Lorenzo, Erlinda F. Jimenez, and Antonio G. Maramba;
(14) Technology Demonstration and Capacity Building for Lowland Vegetable Production by Herminigilda A. Gabertan, PhD., Ma. Queenie S. Tabur, Joel Adorada, PhD., Melinda Mondoñeda, and Cecilia C. Mallari
(15) Utilization of Down Draft Harth Carbonizer for Carbonized Rice Hull Production by Engr. Gilda Yolanda Rodavia, Engr. Allen Marven Tinhay, H.Maglinao and Engr. Paul Victor Rotor,Jr.
Development of New Lined Selection of Gray Oyster won the 1st Prize Best Research Paper Award, while Effects of Cropping Sequence on Bacterial Wilt-Infected Potato Farm, Macadamia Conservation, Propagation and Commercialization and Technology Demonstration and Capacity Building for Lowland Vegetable Production won 2nd, 3rd and 4th best paper awards respectively.
Concluded researches will be posted on the BPI website to help farmers improve their production and as reference for future researches.
BPI Los Baños Crop Research Development and Production Support Center will host the National Annual Research and Development Review in 2019.
- Created: 23 August 2018
- Last Updated: 23 August 2018
- Hits: 601