Molo, Iloilo City – The Bureau of Plant Industry (BPI), Crop Research and Production Division (CRPSD) held the National Annual Research & Development Review on July 29 – August 1, 2019. Fourteen (14) completed researches from across three disciplines of Crop Improvement and Plant Genetic Resources; Pest Management and Developmental Research were presented and evaluated by the experts from the industry and academe - Santiago R. Obien, Ph.D. , DA-Bureau of Plant Industry; Vivencio R. Mamaril, Ph.D., DA-BAFS, Quezon City; Hope G. Patricio, CPU, Jaro, Iloilo City; Belinda A. Tad-awan, Ph.D., Benguet State University, La Trinidad, Benguet; Geronimo L. Gregorio, Ph.D., Retired Prof 6, Capiz State University, Oton, Iloilo City and Marnelie G. Subong, DA-BAR, Quezon City.
Mary Ann B. Guerrero, the Chief of CRPSD, in her message said that the Annual Research and Development Review highlights the remarkable contributions of BPI in the area of research. These contributions are geared towards generation of technologies to attain food security and productivity, food sufficiency and improve farmers’ income. The activity will give the researchers professional growth, opportunity to share knowledge with fellow researchers, and build network and partnership amongst researchers. She encouraged everyone to continue their support in the conduct of researches especially for export-potential high value crops like mango, shallot and moringa.
The completed researches are:
1. Conservation and Development of Package of Technology of Pansit-pansitan (Peperromia pullicida L.) for Utilization Study 1: Survey, Collecting, Identification, Characterization and Documentation of Pansit-pansitan – by Manuel D. Ching, Ace C. Pascual, Christopher Cruz, Maricel Ramos, Ailene Galvez and Mariel Cruzat;
2. Varietal Screening of Potato Under Water Deficit Condition – by Divina C.Jose and Rene P. Lorezco;
3. Field Screening of Arthocarpus species as Rookstock for Jackfruit (Arthocarpus heterophyllus Lamb.)- by Virgilio I. Loquias and Joresel L. Coronad;
4. Rejuvenation of Old, Unproductive Grafted Carabao Mango Through Pruning – by Engr. Rhod S. Orquia;
5. Selection, Purification and Multiplication of Garlic Cultivars for Multi-location Trials in Region 3,5 and 6 – by Lorna M. Tepper, Benito M. Sojor, Brian Joseph S. Zulueta, Meanne P. Andes, Venus M. Malabanan and Maria Narcisa V. Garcia;
6. Optimization of Rice Straw for the Cultivation of King Oyster Mushroom (Pluerotus erynji) – by Mary Ann B. Guerrero, Hazel Joy M. Pacis, Maria Christe A. Espanto, Julie Ann A. Aragones, Maria Fe B. Cachin and Mark Jay A. Nono;
7. Evaluation of Trichoderma against Major Soil-borne Diseases of Highland Legumes – by Rhonda M. Oloan, Trenesie M. Lorezco and Maritess A. Alimurung;
8. Field Evaluation of Metarrhizium anisopliae and Beauveria bassiana against major pests of Selected Solanaceos Crops in the Highlands – by Maritess A. Alimurung, Allan B, Gallao, and Donald Namuro;
9. Enhancing the Utilization of Biocontrol Agents and Botanicals for Organic Agriculture in Support to Organic Stakeholders in the Visayas: Study 1: Inventory of Beneficial Predators, Parasites, Microbials, Botanicals and Best Practices of Organic Farms in the Visayas – by Milagros B. Abaquita, Yondre J. Yonder, Josephine C. Pilar, Alona Marie A. Mandato, Nancy B. Villanueva, Doriz Paz I. Discaya, Jennifer L. Ferrer and Ruth F. Jardeleza;
10. On-farm Trial of Trichoderma koningii Against Cyst Nematode (Globodera rostochiensis) of Potato and Clubroot Disease (Plasmodiophora) – by Rhonda M. Oloan, Trenesie M. Lorezco, Helen B. Castillo and Teresita K. Mangili;
11. Evaluation of the Metarhizium anisopliae on Lanzones Bark Borers as Biological Control – by Judith T. Simpao, Mercedes M. Arcelo and Ever Van E. Orboc;
12. Survey, Documentation and Evaluation of Microbials and Botanicals in the Cordillera – by Maritess A. Alimurung, Rhonda M. Oloan and Divina C. Jose;
13. Development of Three New National Seed Industry Council Mungbean Varieties (NSIC Mg 19, 20 and 21) – by Flora A. Jarilla, Eugenia M. Buctuanon, Helen T. Calibo, Maa. Anna Madela and Carlos Tigno and
14. Evaluation of Steam Pasteurization using Steel Drum for Mushroom Substrate Bags – by Paul Victor Rotor, Jr., Romansito DG. Guerrero, Melvin Vista and Mary Ann B. Guerrero.
The Evaluation of Trichoderma against Major Soil-borne Diseases of Highland Legumes and Survey, Documentation and Evaluation of Microbials and Botanicals in the Cordillera bagged the 3rd and 2nd best papers respectively both from Baguio National Crop Research & Development Production Support Center.
Best paper award goes to Development of Three New National Seed Industry Council Mungbean Varieties (NSIC Mg 19, 20 and 21) from Los Banos National Crop Research & Development Production Support Center.
Dr. Geronimo Gregorio stressed in his closing remarks that the criticisms from the evaluators are tools to further improve their effort and may they aspire for quality research. May the researches take them positively. He hoped that the completed researches will not just be in the agency’s library shelves because those are all relevant and will contribute to economic growth and national priorities. He encouraged the researchers to share their works to the primary beneficiaries - our farmers.
The completed researches will be revised according to the evaluators’ recommendations and will be published in the BPI website.
- Created: 28 October 2019
- Last Updated: 28 October 2019
- Hits: 628