Agricultural Engineering Division
The Agricultural Engineering Division is the constituent unit of the Bureau of Plant Industry mandated to address the need to improve farming operations to optimize the use of farm resources – land, labor and capital. Since 1932, the Division has operated by applying engineering concepts in crop production and advocated farm mechanization aimed at expanding production areas.
Agricultural production involves various activities/operations that necessitate the effective application of labor, power and materials in the farm. From land preparation to planting, harvesting to post-production, the farmer uses technology. Appropriate technology gives the farmers the best chance of gaining more, either by increased production or reduced losses or reduced cost of labor among others. These principles guide the Agricultural Engineering Division in the implementation of its key programs, projects, and other activities.
The Division has expanded its effort in applying engineering principles not only to land preparation, but to other aspects of crop production such as planting, water, fertilizer and pest management, harvesting and post-harvest activities. It has also ventured on the development of research and developmment (R&D) farm infrastructures which serve as support facilities for the BPI National Crop Research, Development and Production Support Centers (NCRDPSCs) and Model S.E.E.D. farms, in the production of quality seeds and planting materials.
Recognizing the situation-specific conditions of various agricultural activities, the Agricultural Engineering Division, through its resources, extensive linkages with other agricultural development institutions and its agricultural mechanization transfer program, continues to work towards developing appropriate technologies available to farmers.
An era where there is a wide choice of affordable, efficient and effective farm equipment for the farmers’ specific needs
To develop appropriate machinery and infrastructure designs for the modernization of the centers and special projects
- Develop tools, machines and implements for the production and post-production of agricultural crops
- Design and modify existing farm tools, machines and implements for local working conditions
- Fabricate working model/prototype of farm tools, machines and implement
Agricultural Infrasture Development Section
- Design and Develop Protective and Treatment Structures for Fruit and Vegetables
- Enhance the Technical Capability of BPI and DA Regional Centers in the Development of Location-Specific Protective and Treatment Structures
Farm Power and Equipment Development Section
- Design and Develop Alternative Farm Power Source such as Windmills, Sterling Engines, Gasifiers and Solar Energy.
- Provision of consultancy on agricultural engineering concerns such as recommending technical applications of farm equipment and other agricultural mechanization technologies for adoption in the farm
- Design and development of agricultural mechanization technologies and related infrastructure projects such as pressurized irrigation system plan/lay-out, Farm implement/machinery for tillage, production and postharvest operationsm and greenhouse (plastic/screen/glass)
- Preparation of engineering plans, budget estimates, bidding documents and contract of agreement of agricultural engineering projects (infrastructure for agriculture, etc.)
- Preparation of feasibility study on the adoption/utilization of agricultural mechanization technologies in farming.
- Demonstration/exhibition/promotion of selected types of farm implement/equipment in the field during fair/festivals, upon request.
- Repair of selected types of farm implement/equipment
- Conduct of short training courses on the design, operation, and maintenance of selected types of agricultural equipment
- Conduct of on-the-job training/apprenticeship program for graduating Agricultural Engineering students and graduates of related science
- Distribution of leaflets/brochures/pamphlets and other printed technical information on selected farm equipment.
- Planning/Monitoring and evaluation of BPI Model S.E.E.D. Farms Projects